Mattblack

Jawa Bobber

In fact, this motorcycle started its life as a completely standard 350 Twinsport Jawa in 1990, just like mine. This bike, however, was bought by my dear friend, Marcang, with the exact same aims as I had before: to learn to ride. The reason why he had the same bike is simple: besides, the model is really good, (and I still think it is) I only had to learn to work with one type. Because it was quite obvious who will repair his motorbike as well …

Point is the point, we managed to get the machine. Unfortunately, it looked like to be in a much better condition at first, but later it became a disappointment. As the owner constantly washed  and cleaned it up, all the oil was washed off the machine. This had two result: the bike stayed very nice and clean, but with rust everywhere, where it can’t be seen. Mine under the oily mud remained relatively non-corrosive, while this became totally rotten because of the lot of water. Therefore, I advise everyone: be careful with washing! I rather have a little dried mud, than rust all over!

So we took the machine into pieces, cleaned from rust, renovated the block and began the redevelopment.

It’s good to know that Marcang, good friend of mine is about 2 meters tall and could weigh 160 kg at that time, was a rather big guy. Therefore, at the beginning we decided to build an only single seated machine, because the 25 horsepower engine is still working hard enough because of the extra-large weight. The idea was to build a small, lightweight bobber, simple bike without any frills. We tried to cut off most of the weight from the machine, if we weren’t able to cut off from Marci.

The frame actually wasn’t hurt, we just cut off the redundant extension of the frame, which would’ve kept the back seat. We didn’t change the front of the bike, just a bit refurbished and painted.

We lengthened the rear swingarm with 45 mm (actually got the arm from my first transformation), so that the wheel was a little further back, which improved the weight distribution and stability. The rear fender moves with the rear wheel together and the back lamp also. The rear light is a totally unique product: made from an old bicycle lamp and LEDs provide the proper light.

The seat had to be a classic swing saddle this time too. Of course, I did it from polyurethane foam and fiberglass plastic customized for the huge bottom of Marci. It was almost two times bigger than the one I made for myself, but everything for comfort. The saddle got two springs, so as to compensate the lack of sponginess and make the seat comfortable to some degree.

The tank of the motorbike was found in the workshop of my late grandfather. I do not know what exactly was the tank made for, but the point is that it suited to the shape of the motorbike. Fortunately, it have been put up quite easily, just had to weld some brackets on frame, as the tank could be fixed from the bottom.

Marci wanted the handlebar to be high up, so we got a high Harley handlebar. To this, the grips were made of stainless steel. The first light is the original Jawa lamp. We retained,  because there wasn’t any better, and at that time we couldn’t afford to buy one for a serious sum of money. Fortunately, it didn’t seem that different, I just missed a bit the beautiful, teardrop-shaped covering.

We put the electronics (which means only the voltage regulator, rectifier and accumulator) in two old aluminum first-aid kits’ boxes. They also came from my first transformation. I know, I know, but since I had a lot of work, I cheated a little. So I didn’t have to produce that many individual parts, because I could borrow the ones, I no longer needed.

Of course the bike got the long standing Matt Black primer painting.

This machine was completely different from the chopper version, but I still like it. This became a real minimal motorcycle, nothing unnecessary remained on it!